Saturday, May 16, 2009

Because I have to!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward."
(Paul, Colossians 3:23-24)

People say they enjoy Glimmers and I say that I enjoy writing them. At least half of that statement has not been true lately. The last half. The frequency of my Glimmers posts have declined markedly. In reflecting on the "why," I came across this passage in Colossians. It is all about the motivation, the "heart" reasons for our actions.

My motivation for Glimmers has gotten skewed. It has become a task on my calendar. My calendar alarm pops up and says "Glimmers" and I resent it. It has fallen into the "your term paper is due on Wednesday" trap. I have been reduced from doing it because I want to, to doing it because I have to and because other people expect me to. How sad! No wonder I can't find any inspiration.

Why do we do what we do? Why do we work? Because we want to, or because we have to? Why do we give healing and compassionate care to our patients? Because we want to, or because we have to? Or do we do it as Erie Chapman suggests, because that's our "Mother" in that bed?

So I'm taking Glimmers of my "to do" list. My calendar won't bug me to get it done. We'll see what happens. If I were a betting man, I'm not, but if I were, I'd bet that I'm about to make a scientific discovery about the brain. I strongly suspect that the distance in my mind between "have to" and "want to" is one synapse.

Blessings to you all,

Jerald

No comments: