Thursday, April 19, 2012

Garbage in, garbage out

I read an article this morning on pop music. The author began with a quote from Plato about the power of music. “Music is the most decisive factor in one’s upbringing. It is above all rhythm and attunment that sink deep into the soul and take strongest hold upon it.” (Plato, Republic 380 BC) Some people will be shocked music existed before Justin Bieber, but indeed, music has been around about as long as people. In fact, if you believe the Bible, music actually predates people. The author reported on his study of music from the 50s to the present and described how lyrics have become much more explicit and exploitive. You can read the whole article here; http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/18/highway-to-hell-the-changing-face-of-pop-music/?page=1

Anybody who has reared teenagers in the last twenty years needs no researcher to tell him or her anything about raunchy music. I remember with horror getting into my daughter’s vehicle, turning on the ignition and being blasted by Nelly singing? “It gittin hot in here, so take off all yo clothes.” I started singing it for my girls on the premise that anything that I sang was decidedly un-cool and therefore less appealing to them. I don’t know if that is true, but it made me feel better.

The author doesn’t do so, but I’ll bet a correlation exists between this debasement of music and the debasement of culture. How much music has shaped our attitudes about relationships, sexuality, society, work, race and religion is anybody’s guess, but I’d guess a lot!

I had a college friend who was studying computer programming way back when computers programs ran on punch cards. After writing a program to punch the cards, he’d run the cards to see if the program worked. If it didn’t, he’d have to re-write it and try again. He’d say, “Garbage in, garbage out.”

That old adage about computer programming can be applied to our minds and our spirits. Our “computers” will respond to what we put in them. Garbage in. Garbage out.

Now that, in a stream of consciousness kind of way, reminded me of this story that, via the internet, has circled the globe about a bazillion times by now. The speaker has been Cherokee, Sioux, non-specific Native American and half a dozen other tribes in these tellings, but the point is valid nonetheless.

The Two Wolves
A Cherokee elder was teaching his grandchildren about life.He said to them, “A fight is going on inside me… it is a terrible fight between two wolves.One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, hatefulness, and lies.The other stands for joy, peace, love, hope, humbleness, kindness, friendship, generosity, faith, and truth.This same fight is going on inside of you, and inside every other person, too.”The children thought about it for a minute. Then one child asked his grandfather,“Which wolf will win?”The Cherokee elder replied…“The one you feed.”It is ever so. Which wolf are you feeding?

Blessings to you all,

Jerald

1 comment:

Pam Alexander said...

I have enjoyed reading your blogs. The first one that I found was "Don't forget the love", and it was about your Uncle Ike in Chattanooga. He is also my uncle. My mother was Lola Smith Nunes, Uncle Ike's older sister. Since my mother died in 1996, Uncle Ike has called me at least once or twice a year, just to check on me. He's a wonderful man, and he was the best brother to his three sisters.
I don't know how much I can write on this comment section, but I wanted you to know that you had a cousin in Wisconsin reading your blog.
I hope you continue your writings. They are quite thought provoking.
Take care, Pam Alexander